From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Herschel Mair
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 5:19 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: Chroma key or the traditional black gray backdrop??

Forget Chroma key for stills. It's a video thing and cameras have the
facility built in.
It requires extremely careful wardrobing and lighting with the
background and foreground lit separately plus a good distance between
the subject and the background.

GREY is the colour for stills if you want to drop out backgrounds.
Also, if you want it to be easy in Photoshop, you need to carefully
control the lighting. But at least you don't get a green or blue edge
tint on your subject.

Try and shoot something white or reflective against a green or blue key
background and then try and drop that into, say, a grey, white, brown,
pink, ivory or cream background in PS... you'll have a nightmnare
getting rid of the green edge.

If you shot it on a grey background then you can drop it into anything
and make it look good with minimal effort.

Herschel

Quoting mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: