Re: The inspiring photograph - Flickr

Well maybe I'm not in quite such a lonely place after all! I seemed to have provoke some stimulating replies.
To explain my attitude.

Adam's work in the context of the 30s on is superb in quality, and reflects his fascination with the breathtaking nature of the American landscape. But it still seems very formulaic - hence the "rules" of Group f64? I have seen his photos in a major exhibition, and yes, they were impressive in technical quality. But they still didn't work for me! Probably because their subject matter is too inaccessible? Cartier-Bresson is different; living in London, Paris is accessible and I do go to Paris from to to time. And CB has produced a some lovely photographs. But many of his images leave me cold and disinterested.

For me photography is intensively personal, probably because I do not make money from it. I am therefore not overawed by photographers with whose work I cannot make a personal connection of any type.

Hey! I must be uncultured. Because having visited a major Turner exhibition I felt rather similar . Brilliant in concept and exhibition, but so far removed from my reality that I felt unmoved. There are many times when I think that historically painters painted to impress other painters.

And just, just possibly, it's also my antagonism towards personalities held up by some critics held up as almost peerless. I always want to challenge that...

Whom do I like? Robert Frank, Bill Brandt, David Bailey, Nan Goldin, Don McCullin, Jane Bown, Fay Godwin, etc, etc.

Anyway, it was great to read the reactions!

Howard

P.S.
Will join the suggested group, then sit back and wait to be critiqued....But Emily is right. Flickr and other web sites idea of critique is "Wow" "Gosh" "Amazing" .....which means zilch.