RE: Digital Asset Management options

On Tue, January 12, 2010 13:23, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Which Corel product are you using?  I am old school too, but a good
> capture even back in the day was just the start.  From altering developing
> times, print exposure times, filter packs, ect most of the same things we
> do in digital post processing were done back in the day too.  It just the
> photographer didn't always do them their self.

Back then, it was a major step for an amateur photographer to start doing
their own darkroom work (at least in B&W).  And a part of all professional
training that I saw.  Most labs did very little beyond straight prints,
though I believe if you paid "exhibition printing" prices and were a
frequent customer, you could end up with a personal relationship with the
person who printed your work.  Some top artistic professionals cut out the
middleman by employing their own printers.  I think they went from doing
their own printing, to hiring an employee to do it to their
specifications.

I hardly ever did split-filter printing (on variable-contrast paper).
Never made contrast masks (useful even in B&W, I hear tell).

And then there were extremes like dye-transfer color printing, if you
REALLY desperately wanted control (and amazing colors, and incredible
shadow detail, and great permanence).  Never did that either, though I own
a number of dye-transfer prints of my friend Ctein's work.

This modern idea that you shouldn't post-process is amusing.  I suspect it
of being an interesting combination of artistic rejection of some of the
extremes of Photoshop abuse, and ignorance of just how much alteration was
done in top-grade printing in a darkroom.  Some people, I suppose, may
also use it to excuse their laziness.

> I have forgotten about Bibble, but the Thumbs plus looks promising too.

Hope you find something you like.  I'm not, it sounds like, as anti-Adobe
as you, but I'm always willing to help somebody trying to avoid doing more
business with them.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info