Re: Digital Asset Management options

On Tue, January 12, 2010 10:01, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Ok on a side note from the Mac Pc debate, I am have a question.  I run a
> PC, and am looking at a trying to add a Digital asset management program
> to go with Photoshop.  That leaves out Aperture and I know Lightroom is
> the PC choice of record.  Trouble is right now I am major ticked off at
> Adobe and would prefer to NOT buy anything from them if I don't have to.
> (and I guess I don't but maybe future upgrades of Photoshop but that's
> another story)   I am getting by with Bridge right now, but are there
> any other choices other than Lightroom that can do most of the same
> types of things that isn't an Adobe product?  Thanks for you help and
> ideas.  Maybe stuck, but figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm currently using Thumbs Plus from Cerious Software, and they've just
released a major new version (8.0).  I haven't fully evaluated the new
version even as to features, let alone acquired an opinion about quality
(I played with some betas and they were quite clean betas, though).  I was
generally happy with the old version.  It was well past time for a new
version.  But the new version looks hopeful.  (That's not so much a
luke-warm recommendation as a statement that they've changed enough I
can't give a full opinion on the new version yet.)

The new version of Bibble Pro includes Lightroom-like cataloging features.
 I haven't used those features, but especially if you're in a non-Adobe
mood, it's worth looking at.  Bibble revolutionized my workflow for
events/snapshots, it really races through raw conversions, and makes it
easy for me to do group adjustments.  New version adds layers and local
non-destructive editing as well as DAM features.  Again, haven't used the
DAM enough to give an opinion.  I will say previewing is MUCH MUCH faster
than with the previous version.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info