Re: Help me, help my son (timing of new laptop purchase)

 From the deep back of the room from an observer (also an amateur photographer or I wouldn't be here...)

On Monday, January 11, 2010, at 01:03PM, "Kieran Simkin" <kieran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> Why?  Do you want him to become an IT technician?

Exactly!

On Monday, January 11, 2010, at 01:03PM, "Kieran Simkin" <kieran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>It's like saying a basic knowledge of car mechanics is unnecessary as
>long as you know how to drive one. Yes, you can drive a car without
>knowing how it works, but having at least a basic idea will save you
>money, get you out of tricky situations and allow you to drive in risky
>conditions more safely.

I think of a mac as a Porsche - Set up from the factory ready for a day at the track, but not every owner wants to "drives it like he stole it".  Linux on PC hardware is like the garage tuner who has a larger learning curve to turn a 1985 camero into sprint car.  It can be done and parts are cheap, but you have to do it yourself or have knowledgeable friends to help on the weekends.

I think the question is do you want spend time to become a mechanic or a driver, both good endeavors, but knowing how to use a torque wrench and knowing when to apply torque at the exit of a turn 5 usually are exclusive.  As an ex-computer administrator during my grad school days, I have decided I like driving my car and "my computer" more than maintaining either.

On Monday, January 11, 2010, at 01:03PM, "Kieran Simkin" <kieran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Just my 2c - Oh and if you wanna rear a geek, don't buy him a Mac. Macs
>encourage a superficial level of geekery, give him a second-hand PC
>running Ubuntu from day 1.

Anyone who still believes this has not used OSX on a Mac.  Mac hardware is now as much a PC as a Dell and the OS is much a UNIX as FreeBSD, NetBSD.  All the knobs are there for the taking with the terminal.app just like all the other *NIXs.

Cheers,
Andy (not that Andy)...