Re: NYC recs

In a message dated 1/7/2010 9:50:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, christynyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
2. A repair shop. I have somehow managed to get dust inside my lens - its
otherwise functioning, but that stuff has to come out. Years ago I used to
go a place on 8th or 9th Street (I think) right off Broadway, but I can't
remember the name or the exact location.
How old is the lens? I used to work in a camera store and we got a lens in stock that had a flake of something inside it and it went back to the manufacturer to be removed. It is also possible that the dust has been there since manufacture even if it is old as the lens elements may or may not be within the depth of focus depending on what distance it was focused on and what type of lens it is and what type of design. Now dust on the outside of the front of the lens does degrade fine detail but it doesn't show as dust. Dust of the outside rear element  of the lens is more likely to be in focus on the film plane (or "sensor" plane).
So in general dust towards the rear of the lens tend to be more in focus. So it might not be as bad of a  problem as you think.   I have lived in NY for. gee it been  30 years so I assume Marty  Fouster (sp?) has retired. You might call B and H Photo (bhphotovideo.com)for a reference for someone.
Roy