Re: Chroma Key and macro photos

Here's an experiment using an orange piece of cardboard as my
background.  I replaced that background with black.  That should enhance
any flaws in the replacement.

Original photo at http://the-rna.com/chroma/test.jpg
Processed photo at: http://the-rna.com/chroma/dest.jpg

The following command was used (convert is part of the Imagemagick
suite):
  $ convert test.jpg -fill black -fuzz 20% \
    -draw 'color 100,100 replace' dest.jpg

This command:
i)   Specifies a new background color of black.
ii)  "Blurs" the image before processing to even out the background.
iii) Selects the color at the point (100,100) near the top left of the
     image as the color to be replaced.

This pull tab will be reasonably representative of the pieces I want to
apply this to.  This almost works.  The problems that I see are:
1) The background is not very even and there are some defects.
   This should be correctable by using a more even background.
2) Some of the original background is being reflected around the edges
   of the subject.  I don't see any way to fix this.  More
   experimentation is needed.
3) Some of the original background is being reflected off the top of
   the subject.  This is most obvious at the wide end of the tab.
4) Some areas around the edges of the tab did not get filled in.  This
   most obvious in the notches at the base of the "ring".  I think
   this is because of shadows.  I think this best resolved by elevating
   the subject as was previously described using Saran Wrap.

I think I will try:
a) Elevating the subject.
b) Less illumination on the background.
c) Illumination from the sides for the subject.  The ring light I used
   for this experiment will probably cast a lot of light on the
   background causing the same reflection problems.

FUN FACT:  Those of us at lest in our fourties recognize this as a pull
tab.  This particular tab probably came from a Pepsi product.  The ring
and the tab could be separated.  The thin end of the tab was inserted
into the notches at the base of the ring.  Pull back on the ring to
apply some tension.  Let go of the ring, the tab springs back and sends
the ring flying.

When used this way we called them "flingers".  With some practice a
fairly good aim could be achieved.

The removable pull tab was outlawed (I think) in the early eighties.
This particular tab was found on the ground last summer in Akron Falls
part (Akron, New York).

Tim