Re: Question

Guys:

This thread has gotten out of hand as to whom said what. I think many of
the points of view being expressed are based on truisms about art and
science that further muddle things.
The idea of art is not historically fixed in time.  Since the industrial
revolution and certainly since 1839 it has changed with almost each
generation in the developed world and more slowly elsewhere.  That the
art world is controlled by exclusive cabals and is all crap (because I
don't get it) is oft repeated ever since the Neolithic. There is no
"academic" art now in the sense that approved styles and technique are
taught or that academics are the gate-keepers. Art is more than ever a
pluralistic enterprise. Not being able to communicate with numbers or
language becomes less of a disadvantage (if it ever was) for artists as
time passes.  Modes of artistic expression unimaginable today will
continue to be invented.
Photography's core technology was mature by the turn of the century of
its invention.  Likewise its use as an artistic medium  matured quickly.

No, photography is NOT art, it is a medium just like paint. To insist
that photography requires a thorough grounding in technique or science
in order to do art is not much different than saying the same for paint.
If you want to argue craft there is some room for that but not much.
Craft lies between (or gets in the way of!) science and art. It is about
having the skill required at hand if it is needed. Artists learn to
judge when their craft skills lag their expressive requirements. Or
quite the reverse - when things become too slick, as often happens.

AZ

LOOKAROUND - Since 1978
Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaround E-Book