Re: Chroma Key and macro photos

If you're going to use chromakey it must be the blue or black colours that the software looks for.

But take some advice from someone who's battled down that road. It's murder for anything reflective... you'll have green casts and reflections that will keep you busy in Photoshop for weeks.

Black suits and white shirts, clearly lit skin tones - all well away (At least 8 feet) from the background and lit totally independently with a little backlighting work well. The background must be lit very evenly and softly staying, as close as possible to a stop below the camera exposure (Zone IV) Chromakey works well with just the right subject matter. Especially backlit, low-key subjects.

If you're shooting stills, shoot on a neutral grey background as far as you can get it from behind the subject and light well to get good "Holding lines around the subject so there's no bleeding into the background. then simple selection tools and layer masks will make the background disappear any reflections will be invisible.

Herschel
Friends,

What do I need to take into account when selecting a background for a
chroma key photo session?

I'm taking photos of coins and other related objects like badges (the
ones you pin on your chest).  To mask out the background I would like to
use a chroma key program.  I hope to use Imagemagick do this.

Can I use any arbitrary color as a background?  My first thought is to
find an opaque piece of blue plastic and light it from below.

Any advice on this is appreciated.

Thank You,
Tim