Re: Metadata

From Wikipedia

Metadata (meta data, or sometimes metainformation) is "data about data", of any sort in any media. Metadata is text, voice, or image that describes what the audience wants or needs to see or experience. The audience could be a person, group, or software program. Metadata is important because it aids in clarifying and finding the actual data.[1] An item of metadata may describe an individual datum, or content item, or a collection of data including multiple content items and hierarchical levels, such as a database schema. In data processing, metadata provides information about, or documentation of, other data managed within an application or environment. This commonly defines the structure or schema of the primary data.

For example, metadata would document data about data elements or attributes, (name, size, data type, etc) and data about records or data structures (length, fields, columns, etc) and data about data (where it is located, how it is associated, ownership, etc.). Metadata may include descriptive information about the context, quality and condition, or characteristics of the data. It may be recorded with high or low granularity.

An example of metadata occurs within file systems. Associated with every file on the storage medium is metadata that records the date the file was created, the date it was last modified and the date the file (or indeed the metadata itself) was last accessed.

Image

Digital images include both digital photographs, and images that have been created or modified on a computer. Metadata for a digital photograph typically includes the date and time at which it was created and details of the camera settings (such as focal length, aperture, exposure). Many digital cameras record metadata in their digital images, in formats like exchangeable image file format (EXIF) or JPEG. Some cameras can automatically include extended metadata such as the location the picture was taken (e.g., from a GPS). Most image editing software includes at least some metadata in the digital image, and can include content about the image's provenance and licensing.

Bob

jonathan turner wrote:
Metadata Hello, can anyone explain to me exactly what metadata is?

My understanding is that it's all the technical data from the camera, embedded within the file. However, I wandered if any captioning I give to an image will also be included in this.

I caption stuff in the 'file info' tool in Photoshop. I wander whether someone without access to PS could read the captions in another piece of  software, such as photomechanic etc?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers,

Jonathan.
--