Well another day, another day on the phone

Well I got ready to go process a few images today and realized the days
of digital imaging create more fun fun fun, but no one took my T bird
away.

I got a 50D earlier this week, and I use CS2.  Well Canon changed their
raw format and CS2 does not the new format.  Spent over an hour looking
for an update to accept the new raw format with no luck.  Broke down and
called Adobe.  That took two hours and four transfers only to be told
because they no longer support CS2, they won't answer the question.  Ok
I could accept that they wouldn't tell me over the phone how to use
photoshop, and I would fully understand if they said sorry but no update
was available that would make that raw format work in CS2. I would also
not be surprised that there is something that would work somewhere.
Pointing me to that file wouldn't have helped Adobe far more than it
would have hurt.  I would even accepted an honest I don't know.  Instead
I was told to go ask someone else on their forums.  I am for the first
time seriously considering alternatives, but that is a second
consideration.

If I update Photoshop its 199 and Lightroom is $299.00 which at some
point I am going to need anyway.  Id be interested in which way others
in the group would go in this situation.  After the body, I really need
to get the holidays out of the way before either but I would appreciate
you opinions on which way you would go and why.

I have 2 work arounds that I can use in the mean time.  One is to
convert the Raw files to Adobe DNG, and CS2 should open a DNG file
without a problem.  That should allow the raw controls ect as I would
with the canon raw and then convert based on need, but it does add an
additional step.  The other option is the Canon software which also
should work, but probably would slow the workflow down even more.

Is there another way that I didn't think about to work around this I
haven't thought about??  This could be one of those "Why didn't I think
of that?" moments.  Id appreciate the help.  For the first time if I
have to update, I am going to seriously consider Aperture.

Now Andy wanted less tech talk, and my apology for the above.  Yet for
the first time in a while I am excited to go take some photos.  IF all
goes well and the mother in law doesn't start on the phone first thing
in the morning, I am headed to a local nature preserve to spend some
time photographing birds and praire dogs.  With a little luck maybe a
bison or two as well.  The weather is good, the temp is great and skies
are surposed to be clear.  Id be interested to know what gets you
excited to go out and take photographs???

Mark