Re: Sample question

It seems to me that the subject is oscillating that's the only real way you'd get that kind of fall-off?
(Unless there's optical issues like the edge of the image circle or vignetting)

I'm figuring the subject was about zone VIII-ish because of the way it's staying visible even into the short exposures it must be up near the shoulder of the curve (A grey square would disappear into black)

The other plausible possibility is the speed of light theory... Do you have grey-square accelerator?