Re: NY Times blog

Very good post, Karl.  Since photography is a two-dimensional abstraction of a three-dimensional "reality" and is a slice out of the time stream I never assumed that it was capturing "truth".  Societal conventions assumed photos as true for their own purposes.

As to your video of the one wing landing question, Snopes.com labels it as false and a fabrication for a commercial concern.
Don

karl shah-jenner wrote:
Lea writes:

I have found the first six parts of this seven part blog series
absolutely fascinating.

You may have to be a NY Times subscriber to access it (I am one so I'm
not sure if this will work if you aren't one). It is worth subscribing
to just for this article, I believe.

http://morris.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/the-case-of-the-inappropriate-alarm-clock-part-1/

It's been illuminating. To say the least.

thanks for that lea -

i got me thinking about this again, the whole photography fake debate

A picture appears in a newspaper, a caption underneath (or not) and after a
period of time, doubt springs up as to the authenticity of the image -
which in turn, casts doubt on the account of events.

This is a good thing, and the way it should always be.  Worse would be
where a picture comes to be considered the fact, and the account is held
indisputable on the basis of the photographic evidence..

We are pretty subjective in our interpretation of the world around us, and
no matter how hard we try to be objective, there are occasions that
confound the best of us.. "the witness stated the offender was wearing a
red jumper" - oh wait, the witness is found to be colour-blind and the
jumper could have been green.  '3 people observed the green car speeding
away from the scene' - oh, the street was lit with sodium vapour lamps, so
the car could have been blue.. etc.

What came to mind was the youtube video floating around of the 'amazing
stunt pilot' landing a plane after losing a wing.

Immediately after viewing it people seem divided - some respond by saying
that it has to be a fake, others are amazed at the pilots flying and
landing skills.  The first time I saw it I went looking for more
information and found hundreds of posts on the web about the video, but no
credible statement supporting it's authenticity.  I can't be certain enough
of anything to say it's real, nor can I personally draw enough information
from the video to see anything that screams fake (I suspect it's a fake
though ;)

The problem is that there's no testimony to the event. In a court, a
witness would be called to present their account of events and such a video
would be played to the jurors if it was agreed that it was appropriate
supporting material to the witness account of events.  But there's no way a
video should ever be played as 'evidence' without a witness testimony.

but newspapers aren't courts.

Photographs have always had the power to confuse or illuminate, they have
always held truths and lies, but it's our viewing of these images when
taken out of context where the fault occurs - because we draw conclusions
from what we see, whether we're led to it or left to our own devices.

In an alternative reality: an image of Lewinsky and Clinton pops up in a
box of old photos one day, the mind would start working (there's a date on
the back of the print) and we could immediately draw a conclusion.  OR we
could say 'this is interesting' and formulate our hypothesis and
subsequently start investigating what this photo means - we could be quite
entitled to present our hypothesis to the world, but we would NOT be able
to present it as a truth of anything without supporting evidence.  This
would simply be wrong.  Black Swan.  we know photos can be faked, so there
is NO reason to assume truth.

However, if a journalist holds up an account of an event and shows a
picture we don't really look and ask ourselves - are they showing us
supporting evidence "crowd of Iraqi's being protected by soldiers", we
assume the account is correct and the photo real - but when we DO discover
it's a fake we feel duped, and rightly so.  When we discover additional
smoke has been added to a scene to evoke an emotional response we feel a
fraud has been committed.. because we were in fact tricked into an
emotional response we might not have felt had we seen the original

But is our impassionate view correct?  For the journalist standing in the
blistering heat watching great plumes reaching up to the sky, it could seem
like hell with thick smoke obscuring everything.. only to find the photo
showing something quite different to what HE felt the scene looked like.
Would it be right for him to move around to find a scene that more
accurately portrays his sense of the way things are, or to maybe tweak it a
bit in PS later?

I know I do this in my own photos, but then I'm not a reporter.

What bugs me the most though is people who have downright lied.  I'm not
talking of the Eugene Smith's photo composites and high darkrooms skills,
which for a 'documentary photographer' are pretty dubious portraits of
'truth' .. but more the likes of Henri Cartier Bresson, who's "decisive
moment" occurred more often when looking at a proof sheet of staged shots
than in the field.

There are countless articles revelling in the virtues of his apparent
technique "In the preface to his 1952 book The Decisive Moment ..
Cartier-Bresson defined his aesthetic is "the simultaneous recognition in a
fraction of a second of the significance of an event as well as of a
precise organization of forms."

. earlier photojournalists commonly staged their pictures. In contrast,
Cartier-Bresson practiced unobtrusiveness as the route to capturing unposed
photographs." <
http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2004/08/cartier-bressons_impact_on_journalism.html >

Bresson says "Photography is not like painting," Cartier-Bresson told the
Washington Post in 1957. "There is a creative fraction of a second when you
are taking a picture. Your eye must see a composition or an _expression_ that
life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the
camera. That is the moment the photographer is creative," he said. "Oop!
The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone forever."

the Smithsonian has something to say on this
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/indelible_cartier.html?c=y&page=1
"The scrapbook reveals a stage between his shooting and printing of
multiple images of the same subjects (1931-46) and his choosing one of each
subject for The Decisive Moment. It might be called The
I-can't-quite-decide-which-image-looks-more-decisive Moment"

I have no conclusions, I just dredge deeper when I see a photo and feel
something may not be quite right.

karl

http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/lester/writings/faking.html
http://blogs.photopreneur.com/the-worlds-most-famous-photoshop-fakes