'Digital lenses"

Here and elsewhere I've heard reference to lenses being 'digital lenses' -
translation, the light exiting the rear of the lens is designed to hit the
sensor plane collimated or straight on.

Now I know a bit about lenses, but this kinda smelt funny to me and I never
encountered any plausible explanation until I came across the links below.

Which makes me wonder if the 'digital lenses' photographers are  buying are
indeed telecentric and producing collimated light at the back end, or
whether they're just a scam by the camera companies selling ordinary lenses
and obfuscating things with a fine sounding term.

For a start it seems that telecentric lenses are considerably bigger than
normal lenses, with a lot more glass - and I mean BIGGER  (the cited
example below would suggest that the aperture needs to be significantly
larger than the object or image height!)

Secondly, this disadvantages of telecentric lenses - has anyone using a
'digital lens' noticed that Aunty Mary looks the same height whether she's
5 feet away of 100?  Apparently a telecentric lens would have her the same
height..

Apparently it's relatively easy to check if digital lenses do as they
claim, and that's the bit I've been looking for! - all you need to do is
look through them .. if the apparent aperture looks to be a REALLY long way
away then you may be peering through a telecentric lens (or a wide angle
and confusing distant with small ;)

Not having any 'digital' lenses I can't check, but I'd be keen to hear any
ones observations

more on the matter:

"What is Telecentricity?

Telecentricity is a special property of certain multi-element lens designs
in which the chief rays for all points across the object or image are
collimated. For example, telecentricity occurs when the chief rays are
parallel to the optical axis, in object and/or image space. Another way of
describing telecentricity is to state that the entrance pupil and/or exit
pupil of the system is located at infinity"

"In a system with object space telecentricity, movement of the object
toward or away from the lens will not result in the image getting bigger or
smaller, " so there is no magnification based on distance from the lens /
subject (!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecentric_lens

http://www.edmundoptics.com/technical-support/imaging/what-is-telecentricity/

karl