Re: PF exhibit on 09-26-09

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html

Dan Mitchell—Rooftops—Could be rooftops almost anywhere, and maybe that's the point of the image...that some parts of London are as generic or "blended" as many other cities. In any case, I'm struck by the layered chimneys in the foreground, the 3 different patterns of fire escapes, and the entryway arch that resembles a Wurlitzer jukebox.

D.L. Shipman—untitled—Not thistles as someone else guessed, yet a fairly common wild flower whose name slips my mind. Seems to be a studio photo (or, at least, an indoor photo) lit by a skylight slightly behind and to the right of the subject. As such, the lighting seems to make the blossoms appear as if made of tissue paper. If that was the intent, well done.

Tim Mulholland—Confliction—Well lit and framed, Tim. I assume on-camera flash was used to highlight the attached snapshop. Besides your confliction, you've, in essence, captured the confliction of the family that put the cross there. They loved the man, but they, too, could not condone his action. For my part, I don't understand why people, especially of Latin heritage, put crosses where a person dies when neither the body or the spirit remain there.

John Palcewski—OMG, I'm Old—You appear to have had some fun making this image, and also did very well keeping your extended arm out of the image. I think your exaggerated _expression_ over-emphasizes the features that indicate your advancing years, and that you are not as old as this image makes you appear. It is an interesting paradox that we MUST have more birthdays in order to have a long life.

Laurenz Bobke—Dragonfly—Stunning dragonfly! The lighting is its friend. Undoubtedly, your unstable platform (the boat) contributed to the unfortunate lack of sharpness. Knowing that dragonflies do rest very long in any one spot, I don't fault you for trying to get the shot under less than ideal conditions...the timing of the light and the momentary rest came together and you had to press the shutter. If timing would have allowed, getting that fourth wing would have been desirable.

Trevor Cunningham—Oblivion—Ironically, I think you managed to capture an overview of the distinct possibilities of beauty in this particular locale. People who have only lived in temperate zones, have not had a chance to appreciate what a desert has to offer; it is an environment completely foreign to them. And yet, the Mojave is not like the Sonora, which is not like the Sahara, which is not like the Gobi; every desert is unique.

Emily L. Ferguson—conflicting titles—The light on the yellow wildflowers, mustard?, indicates a lower sun angle in the sky and some cloud cover. The profuseness of the mustard indicates its lack of natural enemies to keep in check. This image seems to have less direction and focus than I am accustomed to seeing in your images, Emily.

Christopher Strevens—Tunnel at Hindhead—A respectable photo, if it was for the benefit of the construction company. Could you do a photo essay of beauty spots or businesses, like the restaurant, that are directly affected by the change in the motorway, whether positively or negatively?

Just the ramblings of a mind on vacation.
Stephen