Re: 1/2 a wedding collection

In a message dated 22/09/2009 20:37:43 GMT Daylight Time, palcewski@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Andy, back when I did weddings I used to tell the bride-to-be that it's a good idea to have the ceremony in the morning.  That way if it doesn't work out, you haven't wasted the whole day.

Surely that's the case for a wedding in the afternoon, though I suppose a morning wedding might let the bridegroom get to the soccer match in the afternoon.

On a more serious note even the fractional view of this series of events shows how far certain sections of society have gone in pushing wedding ceremonies and celebrations to the point where few can truly afford them.

My own wedding almost exactly 50 years ago (October 10th) was a simple affair with Nuptial Mass in our parish church followed by a lunch for 60 people - mainly relatives, nevertheless the phrase 'butchered to make a Roman holiday' came to mind.   When the guest list was in preparation and the names of distant (and remote) relatives had been duly listed my wife asked ' can we invite a couple of our friends' to bring the total to 60 - which was the capacity of the venue for a hot lunch.   PS the glue held and we both live to tell the tale. Deo Gratias.