Re: copyright protection and the extreme

    The purpose of the copyright law is to make sure the good creators in a society  make a living so they will continue to make art.  With regard for commercial use people get away with it all the time. Your pictures end up in a internal corporate brochure or report, Travel agencies on the web show pictures that are illegally gotten, the TV broadcaster flashes a copyrighted image during half time of a football game, people who have bought your prints even send your prints to magazine under their name, people copy the portraits a professional photographer took of a family member and so on. The problem is you only get to threaten suit or sue for only instances that you know about. Lets take the TV example. CBS Sports in the mid 1980's flashed a copyrighted postcard of mine during a college football game. If I hadn't of been half watching as I took care of my 2 year old I never would have made any money from it. In the 1970's  I sold a picture at a street fair. The person sent it in to Camera 35 magazine and got it published under his name and got $35.00 for it. With the copyright laws of that time and the person lack of deep pockets I decided it wasn't worth going after him.
    Well I get off my soap box for now.
Roy