Re: IR Camera Conversion and hotspots

Dust spots?

Roger

On 19 Jun 2009, at 11:16 AM, ADavidhazy wrote:

Trevor,

You'd think I know the answer to your question since I have been doing
IR on a shoestring for a number of years but unfortunately I can't
recommend something - it seems to me that ultimately it depends on
funds and how big of an image file you are looking for. I'd say that
if you are doing IR you could sacrifice on sensor / file size. But
then I have usually been cheap!

As for the hotspots ... I've not seen them in a Nikon but have in a
Canon Digital Rebel. See here:

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/ppic-work/pages/ir-wing-artifact-UFO-4108.htm

or here:

http://tinyurl.com/mnltwb

Is this a lens induced problem? I think it very well may be but I don't think this is associated with every lens. It depends on design I'd say.
Since at the time the photograph is made the mirror is up and there is
nothing between lens and sensor it has to be lens dependent IMO and
therefore which camera body you use should be irrelevant.

andy

trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Weighing a few options here for a DSLR IR conversion:
1. Upgrade from my D200 to a D300, and send the former to one of those "doctors" that will remove the IR filter from the sensor. 2. Purchase a used D70 (or, maybe, it's a D70s) that has a busted flash for about $150 and send that in. Less money, but smaller images. What would you do? The second option is most attractive financially, and allows me to spend cash on glass. I only have a few days here in Raleigh to decide. One more thing, I read somewhere, maybe it was in a PF post, about Nikon glass being prone to "hotspots" with IR photography in DSLRs. The guy at Peace Camera said he'd never heard of it. I know for a fact I've had the problem myself. Would removing the IR filter do anything about this? This is my motivation to neuter the D200.