Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:53:44 +0100
From: home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Point & shoot cameras (Ed Tech perspective)
To: photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, just got back from a week away in Denmark, so sorry for late reply on this.

Just in case any one is interested, the school have bought some (I’m not sure how many yet) Canon A480’s, which look like good value for money. Thanks for all your help.

By the way, the reason for using photography with these kids is not really to teach them about photography but actually to use photography as a tool to improve their literacy skills... It’s a project which employs creative professionals to come into schools and help teachers deliver their curriculum using creative methods. So in this case, we have got the kids to take ‘News pictures’ and then got them to write a news paper article to go with it. And in another class (infants) they used photos to tell a fairytale story... And then write the story to go with the pictures.

It’s not so much about producing quality photos, more about inspiring them to write. Digital seems to have been a fast and effective method of doing this so far. All good fun.

Jonathan.