RE: Digital camera?

That's certainly true. I own the D700 because of that; I'd really prefer
a DX-type system since I like telephoto a lot, but I do enough low-light
that I went for the D700 because of the large pixels and resulting low
noise.

However, when you're working at base iso with top-line DSLRs like the
D300
or D700, the noise isn't much of an issue; that only becomes important
at
higher ISOs, or with MUCH smaller sensors like in the P&S camera.

It might not be for you and that's great.  The bigger you push the print
size though the more likely its going to become a problem.  IF money
were no object, Id have a full frame sensor.  Since for me it is and the
cost vs how often the advantages and limitations come into play when I
upgrade it will likely be for an APS sized sensor.  For me the times
when its a limitation I can always use a for letter word.  No my mind
isn't in the gutter, its film.  But that is another set of problems too
grin.

> A point an shoot can put 5mp on a sensor the size of a
> thumb nail, but are you going to get the same quality? I doubt it. Like
> most things what you gain in one area, you lose in another.

These days, they're putting 10-14MP on a sensor considerably smaller
than
a thumbnail. And the results show it, especially at high ISOs.

Yes it does and the ISO doesn't have to be that high for it to show.
Frankly I wonder whether you are better off stuffing all those pixels
into a smaller chip or using up sizing software to interpolate.  On that
note I have used Noise Ninja and highly recommend it.  It won't make
satin out of a sows ear, but it helps a great deal.  I have Genuine
Fractals as well and can recommend that as well.  A sharp image to start
with is the key.  Yet if one has the knowledge, or is willing to learn
almost any quality DSLR will make prints far larger than one would
expect.  Throw in the fact that the larger the print, the greater the
viewing distance usually is and you can make a photo to cover the size
of a building if the viewer is a mile away.  At some point we all have
to make our on decisions on just how good is good enough because
perfection is a goal not a result.