Subject: Re: Digital camera?
From: David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, May 19, 2009 11:14 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Well once you make this decision on make, you are committed. You will
> buy bodies, especially digital ones often, but lenses should last a
> very long time. Canon and Nikon lenses are not interchangeable so
> once you decide its not easy or cheap to switch.
>
> Full frame cameras will not hurt you with birds. Some people see that
> 1.5 or 1.6 as a multiplier, much like the effect of a teleconverter.
> That really isn't the way it works. I prefer to describe it as a crop
> factor. That's right the full frame camera will have all the same
> information as the smaller sensor and the photo is in there. Unlike
> the small sensor camera where you see the crop in the lens, with the
> full frame you would have to manually crop to get the same image, but
> its still there.

If I crop to the 1.5x factor on my D700, I've got a 5MP image instead of
a 12MP image. Sure, you can always crop from the bigger image, but
you'll then have less resolution. If he's only printing his wildlife
images small, that may not matter, but he didn't distinguish. A 12MP DX
camera like the D300 gives you the full 12MP.

> If you do wide angle work with landscapes, the full frame will help
> you get wide angle easier.

Yes and no. Out to 15mm, it's actually easier and cheaper to do on DX,
with one of the 10-xxmm zooms. You CAN buy a 14mm (which really is
wider than 15mm), but it's around $1500 (or $1700 I think for the
14-24/2.8 Nikkor zoom, which I hear is to die for). And you tend to get
f/4 or even f/4.5 on the DX ultra-wide zooms, and a stop faster on the
full-frame ultra-wides. But the full-frame ultra-wide costs two or
three times what the DX ultra-wide costs. If you've got existing film
ultra-wide lenses, then full frame digital is cheaper/easier since you
can continue to use them. But starting from scratch it's not so
simple. Not sure if the OP is starting from scratch or not. Given the
uncertainty on system, Canon vs. Nikon, I tend to assume he is.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info