Re: Bob Sull - Capt Dexter

As one who also likes things nautical and rusty I thought I would jump in with some thoughts at the last minute. I grabbed a screen shot so people might still know which picture I'm talking about when the new gallery is posted: http://img.skitch.com/20090509-kibhexhgjkpca7w4gwm3w73e4g.jpg

Bob said, "There was a busy street behind me and I wasn't able to move around much. I know it's not much more than a snapshot and wonder how I could make it better." Well, I can think of many changes. Composition, lighting, timing, content and framing among them. The tilted horizon has already been mentioned.

Composition--Capt. Dexter is in the middle of the frame. This is good if you're the boat's owner and want a record shot to show what's on offer when you put it up for sale. For generating interest in a composition, not so good. I'm not sure what you could do in this case as your mobility was limited, so that brings up...

Framing. With a longer lens you could have come up with something like this: http://img.skitch.com/20090509-ffgfiduiwh8584xud6tucni9we.jpg Often it's not necessary to show a whole thing to give an impression of its essence. In this case the rusty boat would actually have occupied more of the frame than in your original photograph of the entire boat, yet you would only have included a part of it. Less is more.

Lighting. Midday light is rarely helpful in making a photograph interesting. Unless you're a photojournalist with no choice as to when events take place, it might be nice to choose another time of day. Early morning or near sunset could add some interest in the form of shadows and highlighting. Even after sunset could be fun.

Examples of mine:
After sunset:  http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/35520942_2faf5cc28b_o.jpg
After dark:  http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/43084589_f946dc1902_o.jpg

Timing. Other than time of day, maybe something else to add interest in the frame like a passing small boat or more dramatic clouds in the sky. With any luck a cloud would pass just right to keep Capt. Dexter fully lit while casting its shadow on the somewhat cluttered background.

I hope this was helpful.

Cheers,

Rich

   Bob Sull - Capt Dexter