Re: Is this something or nothing?

Roger,

Actually the point of rotation IS important for panoramic photography.

Rotating about a point generally somewhere below the lens than at the
tripod socket of the camera makes it possible to easily assemble
the resulting photographs so there is a minimum of duplicate info in
unwanted places of the sequential images. Not sure I said this
properly. I guess the point of the article is on the one hand to
reiterate that cameras making panoramic sequences do not need to be
oriented in the vertical position and once you do that then a simple
positioning system as can be constructed from scratch out of wood or
by modifying a metal bellows (hopefully a cheap one!) to adjust the
position of the camera relative to the point of rotation (the tripod
axis).

andy

Roger Eichhorn wrote:

Cute. I made a similar device (slide) to take two photos for later rendition as a stereo photo.

Can I assume that the actual point of rotation relative to the camera isn't important? In most cases, the main action in the photos will be far away from the camera.

Roger