Spectrograph

Dear List Members,

I’m back on the list after a short break.

Here is a report of an experiment I have done.

I wanted to make a spectrograph of ionised gas. I decided to put a hand spectroscope on to my DSL camera. I bought one hand spectrograph but is was square and was useless with the spectrum of to one side. So a bought another and found this plastic one was just a toy and was useless even after I took the eye lens off to fit on the camera.

I eventually found one also for school use that was the same diameter as a microscope tube, made of metal, and would therefore fit my microscope attachment. Then I found the eye lens would not come off so it had to be fitted in front of the camera lens. I tried this by holding the combination of spectroscope and microscope attachment in front of my 50 mm lens and found that I got an image.

I then was able to buy a T2 to 46 mm filter attachment and using my existing 46 mm to 58 mm filter adapter I fitted in front on the lens.

I mounted the camera on a tripod and pointed the apparatus at the ionised gas in the glass tube and took a succession of emission spectrographs with different exposures. The best one was 30 seconds.

I obtained a satisfactory spectrograph with the red hydrogen lines (split into two by the physical process involved) and a succession of lines right across the visual range.

The spectroscope that I used finally is labelled “diffraction grating spectroscope TE313”. I cannot recall the company I bought if from but I found it as a result of a web search and bought it off the web by secure on line order.

You can find the spectrographs I took on my web page (below) – look under H-power project > experiments.

The camera was a Cannon EOS 450D with cannon 50 mm prime lens f 1.4 used at full aperture. The microscope attachment was a Fuji ST 701.

Chris

http://www.chrisspages.co.uk