Re: 14 Rare Color Photos From the FSA-OWI

Karl,

Thanks for posting this, post. For the sake of repetition, I'll repost my post to the PDN discussion:

My particular favorites are the Alfred T. Palmer shots. Definitely staged, but I have no doubt they were taken with regular people at real locations. I think his use of lighting, at least through my contemporary eyes, gives a certain level of celebrity, or dignity, to the subjects, much as was the intentions of many of the FSA-OWI photographers. Particularly, the wartime industry shots were taken during a period where it was important to broadcast images of people working hard to overcome both diplomatic and economic hardships.

These images are a historical treasure and I thank Daryl for posting these rare, if only because we are so barraged by inferior imagery, beauties.

And, despite the skeptics, these are the real deal and not Photoshop’d. Think about it, with the availability of technology, what’s the point in lying about it?