Re: talk me out of it

Mark writes:

>Nyquist for a full frame sensor is approx 16Mp -- thus "in theory" the
24Mp is somewhat "wasted"

Mark, I'm curious to how you come to this conclusion, I have it another way

My take on the Nyquist limit is the theoretical maximum info is 1/2 the
frequency of what we're sampling (or rather, we need to sample at 2x the
rate of information), but this is generally applied to a linear system such
as audio.

Let's say we have a device which is sampling is sampling at this frequency

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  (sampling)

and we have this input (data stream or whatever):
  .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   (high point)
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   . (low point)

we can really only get this or this from the sampling:

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   . the high signal *OR*

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   . the low signal - it will only see one
or the other

to sample at 2x the frequency to get an accurate representation of the
actual signal

so if we were sampling at :

our data would be
  .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

which is accurate

:)

the problem with digital sensors is that the above only applies to data or
image information that lies parallel to the vertical or the horizontal - so
we'd have no problems with picture elements such as this:

  ----------

but when we have this
\
 \
  \
   \

sampling will be inaccurate, which is what leads to moiré, which is a
common occurrence in digital photos - in effect the sample rate we need is
closer to 3x the information rate, or to put it another way, what we get
from the sensor is 1/3 accuracy

so in effect the limit to resolving power accuracy of a digital sensor of
24Mp in many scenes will be a mere 8Mp

of course if we were photographing pure blocks of colour we could say the
data was 100% accurate and the nyquist limit is irrelevant.

karl