RE: Obama Poster

On Wed, February 25, 2009 13:44, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Now the AP do they have work for hire contracts with independent
> photographers???  Why would anyone sign such an agreement unless they were
> EXTREMELY well paid up front?  Does AP really just have use rights?  Is
> this a case of the AP thinking that they have more money for lawyers than
> an independent photog?

People sign because it's the only way to get AP press credentials?

Except in this case the photographer (Mannie Garcia), who wasn't a regular
AP stringer but a fill-in, says he *didn't* sign the usual AP contract.
[Mark Lent]

And Mannie only received a few thousand dollars for that image that made the
AP MILLIONS. I was, at one time, an ardent supporter of the AP and
contributed to them regularly, ultimately though, they have become a greedy
organization that cares little for the people who work for them. If any of
you here know a guy who shot for the AP named Dave Martin, you'll know what
I mean by this. Many people have given the AP many, many good years of work
and service only to be cast out to the abyss when AP finds them not as
useful. Disgusting, really. I quit shooting for the AP when they started
forcing newspaper photographers to sign their contracts. They wanted images
and "loyalty" yet forgot that most newspaper photographers foot the bill for
their own gear. To not pay them- or even worse, to pay them $25 for an image
is horrible.

I had a shot from Talladega that I'd made for the newspaper I was working
for. The image showed Neil Bonnett upside down in the tri-oval at Talladega.
AP loved the shot, so the paper told them to move the image on the wire. AP
took the negatives and never returned them. I begged for them back and AP
finally admitted that they had destroyed the negatives. Loyalty? I don't
think so.

Also, I have to wonder if that artwork doesn't fall under the parity rule?
To me, it seem that this would be the case and I'd suspect that his lawyers
will at least take a look at that as a defense.

BTW, this is a little old, but here is a link for something I wrote in 1998
dealing with the AP and rights grabbing/payment...

http://www.digitalstoryteller.com/YITL/Mark%20Lent/february17.html

BTW, there's other great journals on this site and I invite all of you to
read through some of them. This was "Blogging" during Web 1.0, which was
pretty unusual at the time. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

Cordially,

Mark Lent