RE: Gallery comment

At 10:23 AM -0600 2/23/09, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
On Mon, February 23, 2009 09:15, Gregory Fraser wrote:
 >>Then, of course, you need to be clear about your ethics.  Do you wish
 to be perceived as having a
boring visual intention?  Or as someone willing to jigger the situation
 to make it more attention getting?

 > Well we agree on that. I used to like Ansel Adams prints until I read
 about how that unethical bastard was jiggering his prints burning here
 and dodging there.

At least he was honest about it.  _Examples_ is still a great book for
learning about photography, as is his Basic Photo series.  And he admits
to that sort of jiggery-pokery repeatedly!

It's really interesting about Adams. How his vision changed as he gained greater command of the tools, experimented with his chemistry, explored new papers and worked with manufacturers to create tools he thought he wanted.

But most interesting to me is how his concept of the image changed not only with his maturing, but also with popular taste.

Personally, I like his intense blacks and nearly data-free whites. But especially I like that he developed a whole system the purpose of which was to permit him to achieve both those things - which to me has got to be the challenge of what we call black and white photography.

Again, as I tried to carefully hedge in my contribution to this thread, using any tool honestly for interpretation of an image capture, whether it's selecting the film according to its color bias, the zone system in the darkroom, or your favorite RAW converter, comes down to your ethic.

If you have none, shoot Automatic Mode and let the camera impose one on you!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx