Gallery Review

ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated JAN 31, 2009. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:
Don Roberts - Red Truck: I like this classical industrial composition, but the color doesn’t settle with me just right. Perhaps you were going for a faded “red”, but it looks more orange to me. There also seems to be this reflective glow, making the color bleed into the shadows that takes away from the sharpness of the image (could this be from the scan?).

Jack Klasey - Eiffel Tower, Gloomy Day: I completely appreciate your being flexible with the weather conditions. Much of the photography that I do is travel and documentary stuff and your window is usually small to get the shots. I was in Cambodia recently and Angkor Wat was paired with cloudy skies and I missed the sunset shots I wanted…oh well. I like the composition of this image; the shape of the silhouette let’s us know which popular monument this is; and the cloud gives a little more range to the tones. Nice shot.

Greg Fraser - Zima Boy: like Two-Face from the Batman series…great shot! I like the inclusion of the glove, it takes away a sense of mystery that would have taken away from the play aspect had it been cropped out. I miss being able to play outside in the snow…as a math teacher, I can assure you that the homework isn’t going anywhere, and that there will be plenty more where that came from…not enough children play outdoors these days.

Roy Miller - Describe The Expression on This Portrait: I get something like this: “But he says he loves me. Is it so wrong that I want to be loved?”

Emily L. Ferguson - The deed is done: My favorite part of this image is the man reading the book. It’s a good thing he brought reading material too because that was one boring speech. Perhaps my expectations were unfairly high (looking for something memorable like JFK or FDR), but that speech was not worth getting up in the middle of the night to watch. Oh, the picture! It seems to be leaning a little to the right, a political statement? Although it follows the thirds rule, all that empty space at the top right doesn’t do much for the rest of the comp. My eyes don’t seem to rest anywhere, nor are they drawn. At least the right guy won.

Alan Zinn – Untitled: Not being much of a car guy, I still like this shot. I like how it pans from the young dreamer on the left to the mid-life crisis on the right, very poignant. Excellent exposure, as always, but I don’t like the arch over the car, though it does give the viewer the information about what car it is.

Andrew Davidhazy - Colors Galore: I wish part of my job description included playing with soap bubbles! All I can say is, “Wow, who needs acid?”. You should print this out on large poster-paper and sell it to incoming freshman as they move into the dorms and walk down the labyrinth of psychedelia.