Re: good lens gone bad?

Ok Lea  You have definitely identified the source of the problem.  If the lens won't work on another body and another lens will work on the body that had the problem, its definitely the lens.  But there are a couple of things to check.

First look real close at all the contacts and re clean them if possible.  Years ago I had one go funky and I cleaned the contacts on the body, but not the lens.  The gunk was on the lens contacts.  Check for damage to pins, but you likely have already done both.

Before I sent it back to the factory, Id check around for a local repair man/person to take a look at it.  IF there is anything that they can do with it, its likely going to save you some down time.  Yes contacts could go bad.  The grinding though to me sounds like it might be something internal that has gone bad that is demanding more voltage than the body expects.  The camera sensing the need for excess voltage suspects that something is in the way of the current causing the clean contacts message.  I don't know how easy it would be to get to replace a motor or gears and hopefully it isn't that.  Yet the good local guy could likely tell you with just a listen, if there is one near you and give you good sound advise on how to proceed.