Re: Something I wonder if anyone else is considering

Well Bob I agree with you to a point, but its not always photographers that get caught up in that.  Art directors and buyers of photography are just as likely to get caught up in the same rat race.

I never had the desire for a 20D.  My 10D was close enough that I never considered the upgrade.  The 6 vs 8 wasn't enough of a gain to even consider for me at the time and put what money I had elsewhere where it could do more good.  The 30d wasn't really considered seriously.

I wanted the 5D, but a couple of extra thousand bucks just wasn't laying around.  The 40D is a very significant increase and the 50 is over double the resolution.  That starts to make sense for an upgrade, if the price is right.

Yet the more you spend the longer you can get buy with it.  Spend the $8000 for a body and you likely will get a longer useful life out of the body.  Checking out KEH, you don't see that many of the older bodies show up used very quickly after a new body comes out.  Yet even at that level, yesterdays 15 mp $8000 body is todays 20+mp $8000 body with $1600 bodies now at the level of the old $8000 variety.  It never ends.

A few years ago an EOS 1V was $1600 or so used, and now I see them available at the cost of a new digital rebel or less.  Hmmm  Guess its just part of an unavoidable condition.  That's getting old.  At the wife's office I am referred to as the same age as dirt, and they aren't far off. lol