Adobe Photoshop measuring tool accuracy

Dear Group - somewhat in a panic - my measurements on my photomicrographs have to be very accurate for scientific publication - the formula I was given to use in Excel - appears to be correct - but when I put the horizontal length in a image size (this is for the micron bar) when the software draws the line - it is exactly twice what it should be - when I print it out - the total image is the same size as my negative - Please any comm