Re: Ok so everyone seems to want lively debate (not flame wars)

Actually photographing just about anything outside of a studio has its risk.  Auto racing is high on the list of risky shooting.  At Mid-Ohio if you got a photo pass I seem to remember there were certain spots where most of the interesting action, passing etc, took place and were 'safer' than just setting up anywhere.

RE: CART  Thanks Tony George and thanks Washington.....

Bob

Mark Blackwell wrote:
Well just compelled to point out that photographing an auto race can be very dangerous.  The smaller the track often the more risks that are accepted by a photographer, and as often as not, they have no clue to the risks they are accepting.

On a race track with the cars at speed is a recipe for a funeral, yet I see it often at local dirt tracks.  They are usually inside the track taking pictures, but as often as not there is no inside wall to keep an out of control from hitting the photog.  Photog or race car??  Guess who wins.

Its sometimes hard to get spots behind a protective barrier and not be obstructed, but usually they are there.  Yet even behind a barrier, that doesn't mean you are totally in the clear.  Debris can easily get behind a fence or sometimes through it.  Dirt tracks are noted for dirt clods getting thrown through a fence and hitting things, and often they have rocks in the dirt.  Makes a real mess if it hits a lens.  Likewise the fence can keep out the race car, but pieces of steel or small pieces of carbon fiber can do a great deal of damage.  Think before you set up.

Sometimes an extra set of eyes to watch the track, particularly if your position makes you put your back to the on coming traffic, with the instruction to use only one word while the cars are at speed and you are working.  That word is duck.  At that point don't question, don't worry about the photo, just fall to the ground behind the barrier.  Race cars could be sliding along the top of that barrier before you even have a chance to look back.

Oh How I miss CART.  Yet there is one phrase that still applies.  Just say no to the IRL.  My last champ car race was in Cleveland and got some interesting photos there.