Re: That digital camera and weird prop artifact update

Karl,
    Could you explain further? Are you saying that it just digital capture and the processing of the capture is done analogue-icly?

Roy

I'm not sure how to read that (!? ;)

basically it is analogue sensor array, used originally in video cameras - this sensor gathers the 'stream' of values and feeds it to the digitizing circuitry and the 'digital image' is created by the analogue to digital converter (kinda like the microphone input on our soundcards in our computers does to audio).

the transistors on the sensor simply measures levels relative to 0V or to a reference voltage, these values can either be recorded in an alaogue fashion as with video on tape, or digitized as our cameras do.

have a peek here:

cmos sensors are slightly different as explained, in that their digitizing circuitry is actually in the cmos chip, closer to the sensor than with a CCD , but both nonetheless capture the light levels in an analogue way - that is, it registers a voltage somewhere between *here*  and   *here*  as opposed to the digital concept of *on*  or *off*

these values are rounded to certain values in the digitization process and the value recorded in a binary way as a digital value