Re: That digital camera and weird prop artifact update

On Fri, October 3, 2008 08:26, karl shah-jenner wrote:

> my understanding is that the name aside, digital cameras are still
> analogue
> video still cameras, with the analogue image digitized in camera,
> subsequently they still behave much as a video camera does .. hence the
> effect shown in the original images Andy sent, and as experienced by
> others
> out there too including me.

Not all of them, not always.  Some of them have mechanical shutters, and
read out the sensor chips only when the shutter is closed -- hence it
doesn't matter what pattern they read it in.  Others, especially cheaper
and smaller ones, use "electronic shutters" meaning they read the chip
while it's being exposed, and hence have the potential for this sort of
amusing aliasing.

I think the readout from CMOS vs. CCD chips may be very different, too.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info