Re: PF main exhibit on Sept. 27, 2008

> >              Peeter Vissak - No wind 26-09-2008
     - Hey Peeter,
> What kind of birds are flying there ?

Hi, Pini!

Some of our birds should be there by now, shouldn't they? ASt least the White Storks?

In the moment lots of the stopping cranes may be gone, although maybe the latest populations aren't perhaps arrived yet.
As a maximum it is calculated that about 35 000 cranes are passing Matsalu, stopping there for a while, eating on fields and sleeping on the coast, but this year it was very-very poor - in Sept. 15 only 8000 cranes were counted all around Matsalu Bay.
In some years there may be up to 8000 cranes in a single sleeping location.
Sometimes they gather and stay for some time, sometimes they pass quite in a hurry.

There are also Whooping Swans and Bewick Swans, different ducks: Pochards, Scaups, Wigeons, Goldeneyes, different goose species are passing.
Yesterday, guiding a schoolchildrens' group we heard Bearded Tits, that is not very common (although not rare any more).
White-tail Sea Eagles are actively fishing around here.

I do not have any tele lens yet. Borrowed (for this bird-period) a really old manual Tamron adaptall 300mm f5.6, but it is quite slow to work with and it doesn't have automatic aperture in this setting.
After buying a new Canon 40D and a 17-40/4 lens I have to slow down and wait until I can buy something else, something longer.
Don't want anything cheap (any sigmas or tamrons or consumer canons, incl the quite praised 70-300), but some non-IS L-series. Either the 70-200/2.8 with 2x extender or perhaps the 300/4 with 1.4x extender. The first one being more useful.

I used the favourable dollar course and purchased my camera from B&H Photo, instead any local shops, saving me almost 1000 USD.

BTW - the wind-generator shot is taken with the old Tamron 300/5.6.

Sincerely,

Peeter