Review of PF main exhibit on Sept. 27, 2008

The Photoforum gallery is at <http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html>

Dan Mitchell - Fractal
I can certainly see three levels of the repeating pattern in this. And the dark neutral background sets it off very nicely. I did wonder for a second if this was photographic or computer-generated, until I read the explanation (that's not a value judgment either way, just something that happened). Hah, I was right, it *is* cauliflower family.

It looks very alien to me.  As a science fiction fan, I like that.

Peeter Vissak - No wind 26-09-2008

Nice title.  And I like the use of the low-lying fog.

Valery Firsov - Racer

That way!  Over there!  Non, not towards me!  :-)

I like her expression. The tricycle seems antique; that kind of rear axle design is not something I've seen lately (in fact the whole thing of pedals solidly connected to wheels seems to be out of fashion for the obvious reason).

             Lea Murphy - Rachel behind the gate

The lighting worked out pretty well, and you got both eyes lit which I mostly prefer.

I'm not sure about the use of the gate, and about the degree of unsharpness in it. It makes a lot of the photo mostly not there, and the brownish blur isn't the best thing for me to see that close to her eye.

For some kinds of portraiture you'd certainly want to retouch the face some, but I'm happy to deal with other aspects of the photo. And some people want to look like people actually see them.

Howard Leigh - Paris - Traditional Mayoral Statue

The kid on the chair in front of him definitely makes it. It's a rather well-done statue to begin with, but the kid makes the scale jump out (there are of course lots of things to compare to; but the kid really makes it pop out at me).

Lara Ashby - Chainsaw Eagles

Nice!  I'm often impressed by what people manage to make with chainsaws.

Trevor Cunningham - morning run

Lots of nice things about this; good sky, mountains, ocean, beach, something really happening in the foreground.

But it looks kinda flat; and, checking, I see you're not using nearly the top third of the brightness range. I'd let the highlights go a bit higher (quite possibly in an "s" curve rather than straight).

             Emily L. Ferguson - Another Niagara postcard photo

The land at the top of the falls always looks flooded to me -- bits of trees and bushes apparently sticking up from the water. I suspect the scale is not what it looks like :-).
Thanks to everyone who is participating in the gallery this week!

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info