Re: I have a favor to ask.

Don Feinberg wrote:
This is hardly a reason to use AOL.  If keeping your bookmarks with you is so very important, then put a copy of them on a thumb drive.
Better advice

The answer to the poster's problem really is simple, but constantly ignored by 99.44% of the world:  BACK YOUR DATA UP.  MASS STORAGE IS NOT "FOREVER".  DISKS EVENTUALLY CRASH.  (rarely, but eventually).
I guess rarely is subjective.  While I didn't replace a hard drive daily while carrying a tool bag for IBM for forty years, I did replace a number of them.  I probably replaced more hard drives than any other component.  Hard drives had the largest number of installed devices so that would explain the number of replacements.  As time went on we replaced fewer since while the number increased, the technology got better and a lot more reliable.  If memory serves me right, I retired two years ago, one array had a minimum configuration of 32 hard drives.

Customers also bought large tape "arrays" that were capable of many terabytes of storage for backup.  Most had provisions for off site secure storage of the individual tapes.

AOL is so functionally substandard in almost every way, is so technically non standard, and puts its tentacles down in places where you would never expect to see them.  It almost takes on a life of its own once installed, and it is VERY difficult to uninstall. (And if you try to uninstall it, it will tell you that it did uninstall, but it in fact does not uninstall.  Instead, it leaves a huge numbers of settings, ini files, registry entries, ..., for you to find and remove by hand.)
When we first got ThinkPads some of my co-workers installed the 'free' trials of AOL.  They discovered that they could not access our intranet. The fix was usually a total format of the hard drive and a complete reload of the work applications.  It just proved the old saying, "There are no free lunches"

Perhaps one of the most egregious problems is that AOL locks you into webmail in the AOL domain and deliberately doesn't allow POP3 mail.  This means that once you have and use an AOL mail address, you are obligated to use AOL via the web to get your mail (whether via browser or AOL's mail client is not of consequence).  Now:  think about changing your provider.  30 bazillion people already know you as zork123@xxxxxxx Now you want to get POP3 mail from your new provider.  How do you download your old AOL mail using the same process?  Answer:  you don't.  You still need to get your AOL mail by web access.

I cannot see any reason why anyone would use AOL for any purpose, when better and safer software which does everything AOL does and more is available freely or nearly freely. (Unless, that is, you support paying your money for watching infomercials and advertisements in their "portal".)

And, oh:  back your data up.

Don Feinberg

Bob
--