Re: Canon iPF5000 printer

Hi Karl,

Yes I have. I currently use a W6400 with 9 inks. The 12 are $$$EXPENSIVE$$$ but the output, customer support (US) and are nothing short of fantastic.

The ability to print on canvas has really increased my creativity, and so has the RIP software that Canon supplies with these printers. The only part I wish they had is the spectrophotometer that HP built into their (larger) machines.

I suggest that you find someone in your area that has one or call Canon and set up a demo in your area. Take one of your best files and have them print it for you. You will be amazed. One really big issue is the ability to use anything other than an 8 bit file so printing at a 48bit level is possible. So if you create a HDR image in PS you can actually print the entire range of the image. I have seen some stunning stuff that way. Images that don't exist in nature are possible in PS and with these printers creativity is wide open.

They take some getting used to, and like I said the inks sets are going to really hurt the purse. Canon has pub'd info on the cost per sq ft or meter. It can be up to $4.00 per sq ft at many print houses. But doing it your self may not be any cheaper but you can print in your jammies at 0200 in the morning :-)

After printing several images all the way up to 24x36, I really want to embarrass myself and get a 60" printer - someday.
But if what you want is 17" than this is a great printer, just keep in mind that supplies are expensive, both roll and sheet are available from many online sources.

Les