Re: Media speed

Bob:

I believe that value for a 1X speed for a media card is 0.15 MB / sec
So:

  4X = 0.6 MB / sec
 12X = 1.8 MB / sec
 24X = 3.6 MB / sec
240X = 36MB / sec

etc.

Things get more confusing when you look at read vs write speeds ( they are not the same for all cards of the same speed rating ). And, there is UDMA, a new read/write technology the increases transfer speed IF you reader / camera supports this technology.

For example, the SanDisk Extreme IV 4GB cards supports this transfer protocol as does the Nikon D3. But other Nikons may not, especially ones that are a few years old. ( The same caveat applies to other manufacturers as well but I haven't kept up with them. )

Lest anyone have a different brand they prefer, that's just fine, I'm not even suggesting the SanDisk is better than your favorite brand, just using it as illustration.

So,

If you want test results for some particular card, go to:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cf-sd.htm

Cheers,
James