why does my image change in Lightroom?

I have a Lightroom question, version 1.4.1, camera raw version 4.4.1, shooting in RAW mode with a Canon 5D.

When I import my images and begin bringing them up full screen size in Library mode they appear one way but after Lightroom is finished rendering them, they appear lighter.

What is going on to cause this? Is it something I have set incorrectly?

So far as I am aware I have no automation set to make any changes to the images as they are brought in. If I have set something it was by mistake and I'd appreciate input on where to go to change it back.

Sometimes the darker, pre-rendered version looks better.

Thanks for any insight into what the program is doing.

Lea

babies. they're what i do.
www.leamurphy.com