Re: Comments: PF Exhibit Update 17-05-08

Wow, Rand!  I'm humbled by your thorough comments this week, particularly the nice things you had to say about my image.  Thank you.

"somewhere between zero and one...everything else is exaggeration" - Anonymous

----- Original Message ----
From: "ranflory@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ranflory@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:25:59 PM
Subject: Comments: PF Exhibit Update 17-05-08

Here are my VERY SUBJECTIVE comments on the work displayed by the PhotoForum members who exhibited on APR 26 2008 at http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html.

Trevor Cunningham - stones of Belitung

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery/cunningham.html

In a word: DRAMATIC! I love the way the sky opens up with white seemingly to reveal the tress below; the way the trees, alive, struggling against all odds, seemingly growing out of bare rock; the way the  seemingly huge rocks coming up from below to add stability to the world.

Philosophically, this is such an excellent metaphor for life.

Photographically, it is also excellent. Sure, it would be great if you could have arranged for a couple of arc lights to illuminated the trees a bit more (or perhaps even a Photoshop “arc light”), but so what? The descending line of rocks revealing more trees is excellent. The position of the light shining through the clouds is excellent. I thought that perhaps cutting about 15-20% off the right side might give the circle of light a better position (rule of thirds, you know), but it just takes away the power of the heavens when that happens. The white circle, The Eye of Heaven, just needs to be centered.

The color of the sky seems to enhance the beauty and power presented by the rocks below, with the green trees in the center giving just enough color to the scene create beauty and, to me at least, the feeling of hope.

I really like this photograph.