Re: You may quote me - Battery life

Thanks Karl for an amazingly fast and detailed response however I think PC user missed the question I was asking.

Put another way I was interested in finding out about the shelf life of a battery in its charged state and which brands were best.

ah.. <slap>

I know that with the batteries I have they have self discharged  after charging without being in the camera at  at all after a month but if I charge them one day and use them 3 days later how much charge is in them at the point when I put them into the camera.

NiCd's hold their charges longer, NiMH start discharging as soon as they're removed from the charger, LiIons - both rechargeable and non rechargeable hold their resting state charges the longest of all.. no one brand should be better than another, it's really down to the material itsself rather than the brand.

If technical reports are not available what is regarded as best practice as regards keeping rechargeables (and the camera) ready for use when the need arises.

popping the NiMh batteries  in the charger the night before they're to be used seems to be the general consensus, but don't do this with NiCds - they're better off being used when they're needed, recharged when they're flat.  LiIons additionally should be recharged ASAP after discharging

hope this is a little more on target :)

karl