Re: Potassium Iodine and permanent marker?

What is the effect?  Does it bleach everything but the marked locations?

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it's true" - J Robert Oppenheimer

----- Original Message ----
From: karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:02:09 AM
Subject: Re: Potassium Iodine and permanent marker?

: I had a student pose an alternative process question for which I
: cannot answer.
:
: Does anyone have an idea of what this student is referring to?
:
: " There was a technique I learned in high school which I'm pretty sure
: is called
: photo bleaching. It's where you draw over a black and white photo in
: permanent
: marker then let it sit in potassium iodine or some chemical. I was
: wondering if
: you were familiar with this technique, and if so, if you could help me
: obtain
: the materials I would need and teach me the exact process. I wanted to
: use this
: technique in my final black and white photography project."

oh man, I thought that was *my* secret trick!

:)

it was something I reserved for the graphic design students who took photo units!

Yes - draw away happily with a permanent marker then soak the print in either of :

Bleach 1
Hydrochloric acid (30% solution) 200ml
Copper sulphate 200g
water to make up to 1 litre
Dilute the bleach 1:10 for use and soak prints before placing them in the bleach to ensure consistent bleaching

Bleach 2
Potassium Ferricyanide 50g
Potassium Bromide 50g*
Water to make up to 1 litre  working strength

Bleach 3
water 500ml
Potassium bichromate 5g
Hydrochloric acid (35%) conc. 40ml
Dilute the bleach 1:10

Bleach 4
Potassium permanganate bleach
Part A
5g potassium perm & water to make 1l

part B
HCl 80ml  & water to make 1l

add 1 part A & 1 part B & 6 parts water prior to use

Bleach 5
Potassium iodide 16g
Iodine  4g
water to make 1 litre
dilute the stock solution 1:20 for use.

After reduction, rinse then re-fix, washing well after fixing.
Some staining may occur, removable by soaking in a 5% sodiuum sulphite solution.

The Iodine bleach (5) is the most prone to staining and is probably the most expensive to make (the iodine costs $$$) - bleach 1 is the cheapest and probably the best for the intended application

have fun! :)