RE: Website question

I think I have an answer http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html#7.3 and really appreciate everyone's input. According to this since I would not be taking private studio shots, set up by a client for a fee (and the odds are the dog isn't Lassie ;) but rather public settings, I would be free to use them without a model release. Getting a release under the circumstances would be daunting at best.

Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:57:49 -0400
From: Formyrotts@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Website question
To: photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/4/2008 3:52:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Would a person other than the owner be able to recognize it as your dog?

Devil's advocate aside, you have to get a release from the owner of the pet before you can sell the photo (if you intend to sell it to anyone other then the owner).  I know many 'pet photographers' and they are required to get a release from the people they sell to photos to for print, i.e., calendars, stories in magazines, etc.  As a matter of fact, I saw a picture of one of my dogs on a set of coasters on eBay--I got to the bottom of it, and in this case it was legit, the person had the permit from me, and they had sold the picture to another place that put the photo on coasters.  I now own the coasters--why wouldn't I?  :)  Linda B.