Re: quiet

The WoodenBoat forum is for everyone with an interest in boats, mostly made of wood, that sail or motor and is a service of WoodenBoat magazine. You can access the forum from a button on the magazine's site or at this link:

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/index.php

It includes 6 levels, now - the Bilge, of course, is at the bottom. And, of course, that's where everything complicated and requiring careful disposal goes on. There are many thousands of subscribers to the forum but only about 85 or so are regulars, as is largely true with other such things.

It is mildly moderated, with considerable respect for the possibility that most of the regulars are actually grownups (although once in a while it's pretty hard to believe that).

I have enjoyed immensely getting together with people on that forum, we go sailing, help each other out, pool funds to buy special gifts for each other, and advise each other on everything from divorce to the best place to commission a special brass part for a boat reconstruction. We have a member doing chemo for a brain tumor and spent three weekends last fall cutting trees on his land and splitting and stacking them for his wood burning furnace, for instance.

So it's like that.  Kinda unusual.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx