From: Mark Blackwell
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:03 PM
Subject: Project I am working on and I like opinions an input

"Well one of the earliest memories I have was the death of President Kennedy. Born in 58, I was very young at the time, but in many ways those memories are like yesterday.  I happen to live now not too far from Dealy Plaza and the idea came to me about a photographic project to use that plaza not as a ending to a study, but a beginning.  Its a beginning of a photographic study to hopefully put an interesting take on the passage of 45 years."

Mark Blackwell
***
Your idea sounds fascinating Mark and my personal opinion is that your subject does speak to the subject of photography.  Your idea has ignited thoughts about similar projects concerning events in each of our respective locations.

I'd approach it as a "Man on the Street," project and interview people at that particular location today.  I'd ask them if they remember the day Kennedy was shot and how they got the information about the tragedy that forms their memories, i.e. from hearing people talk about it?  Reading or seeing film documentaries?  Were they there (what a find for your project that would be).

If you  could find photographs of the area taken 45 years ago and duplicate the exact locations in your photographs taken today - that would be interesting.
I was sitting in a classroom the day it happened.  When we first got the announcement - a student came running through the classroom door and breathlessly made the announcement that Kennedy was dead - no one believed him.  We all thought it was some kind of a sick joke.

My parents were of stiff-upper-lip English stock, but I found both crying freely when I got home that day.
Marilyn