Re: Fullbright scholar program announcement

Wow... I was just talking to my advisor about this- Thanks for the head's up!

Let me ask all of you... If anyone here lives in England, I would especially appreciate your feedback on this.

I am an older student- 42 years old and when I was younger, earned an AA in photojournalism (at the time, it was all you really needed, and I paid as I went and it was about all I could afford at the time...) Now though, I'm back in school full-time and with the eventual goal of earning a Ph.D. and teaching journalism, mass comm., photojournalism and new media.

So far, since going back, I have a perfect 4.0 GPA and am involved in a scholars program at the University of Alabama that allows me to start on my graduate research while still completing my undergrad work. My research involves exemplars and how, over the course of time, two images can "merge" in our memory and we visualize one image with characteristics of both. This can and does effect our opinions about current event issues, and my research will be in testing this and making a determination as to how much this can effect public opinion regarding an event.

I am very interested in making a comparative study in Europe and taking an issue like (for example) Global Warming, and compare how it is pictorially portrayed in the US vs. Europe and see if the presentation effects public perception differently in each of these locations. Additionally, if there is a difference, how much so and how this effects opinions as well.

I am applying for the Fulbright and several others, but am trying to decide where the best location for my european research will be. I would love to go to The University of Oxford because of their media research arm. If anyone has information on this, I would be grateful for any assistance. I'd also appreciate any contact information as well. Also, being a realist, what are other options in England that will suite meet my needs? I've searched the web, and Oxford's web site in particular, but much of the information is vague and I've written e-mails to several contacts on their web site without any response.

Any ideas would be appreciated, and if you have a CONTACT for those places, send that as well.

Many thanks.

Mark Lent

From: ADavidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxx>