Re: Alternative to light blocking infrared filter

Roger,

Any time one does something unorthodox it is prudent to proceed with a
great deal of caution. Will you be able to positively retrieve the
piece of film after putting it into the slot? Will placing the filter
bugger-up any mechanism built-into the lens? Does dust enter the lens
when you place filters in that slot? etc. etc.

I don't know that lens so can't advise first hand. Too expensive for me!

So I am not going to recommend that you do it but if your feeling and
decision are that everything is safe then best wishes!

One thickness of black color reversal film is a start but two layers
are better. Of course two are not as good as one in terms of affecting
the performance of the lens so it is a matter of compromise. You can sort
of judge the effect of how opaque the film is by trying to look at a
bright source through one layer and then two.

Then make sure to use a tripod or something to keep camera steady for a
long duration exposure even with lens fully open!

Andy

Roger Eichhorn wrote:

Andy,

My 17-40 F4.0 L lens has a square slot on the camera end for a thin filter. Could I cut a piece from the unexposed end of a roll of slide film and use that?

Roger