Canon Lens suggestion.........one more time

Hi Gang..............

A while back I bought a Tamron XR Di 28-200mm 3.8-5.6 lens.

In the Studio it seem to be sharp.

This is also where I have lots of light and the lens is stopped down.
I shoot a lot of theatre photography.

Generally the lens wide open..........

In this instance the lens doesn't seem
to give me sharp photos.  At first I thought
that it may have been due to subject movement,
but closer inspection shows that this isn't the case.

It's almost like the lens isn't focusing quite right.

A friend of mine has the Canon 28-135mm 3.5-5.6
lens with the image stabilization and loves it.

KEH has some good prices on some used ones.

Now I am shooting on a tripod where the stabilization isn't going to be any benefit for me.

And I can not afford an L Series Lens.

I have read some reviews that tell me that the
Canon lens with the image stabilization isn't all that sharp...............

Anyone have any suggestions for a good lens
that doesn't cost a fortune that will be sharp?

(yep we have had this discussion a while ago.....)

Thanks

Russ
R.E. Baker
Photography